Audio Description Resources
A selection of interesting or useful links relating to audio-description.
by Brett Coulstock. .
A selection of high-value, interesting or useful links relating to various aspects of audio-description. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list, just a useful one.
If you feel there is a particularly egregious omission, please feel free to contact me.
Selected Articles on Audio Description
- Seeing the story — just another day working as a blind critic by Olivia Muscat ().
- The people who find the words to describe sex scenes and a cyclops by Kate Jones ().
- Some tips for Blind Audio Description writers by Robert Kingett ().
- Representation Matters: Excellent Audio Description of The Harder They Fall by Empish J. Thomas ().
- What It’s Like to Describe Porn for a Blind Audience By Marissa Martinelli ().
- Design for the Edges: Video for the Blind and Deaf by Katie Hinsen ().
- A Day in the Life of an Audio Describer ().
- Training future describers: A practice report from an audio description classroom () by Jankowska, Anna.
- Cinematic language and the description of film: Keeping AD users in the frame () by Fryer, Louise and Freeman, Jonathan.
- Translating Audio description Scripts: The Way Forward? - Tentative First Stage Project Results () by Juan Francisco López Vera
Auteur Audio Description
- Audio Description Using Auteur Description by Mireia Varón Gallofré.
- Auteur Description: From the Director's Creative Vision to Audio Description by Agnieszka Szarkowska (Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness).
- Staging the Audio Describer: An Exploration of Integrated Audio Description by Louise Fryer (Disability Studies Quarterly).
- All The Light We Cannot See (In Touch, BBC Radio 4)
- The power of audio description By Cath Mahony, on Life Matters (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
- Subtitles for the Blind (Unsung Science)
- Audio Description Services: Changing media forever (2GB radio)
- Scriptnotes, Ep 208: How descriptive audio works — Transcript
There is also a list of podcasts at The Audio Description Project
- Know Your Narrator podcast Audio Description Network Alliance — Talent from Movies and TV Series for Audio Description Audiences.
- Talk Description to Me Where the visuals of current events and the world around us get hashed out in description-rich conversations.
Education and Training
- Creating Audio Description for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Royal Holloway, University of London
Explore how to design and create audio descriptions and audio introductions that fully represent a film, play, or TV programme.
- Audio Description Training Retreats
Audio Description Training Retreats (ADTR) is a unique and high-quality education model that was developed by Jan Vulgaropulos and Colleen Connor. ADTR focuses on training participants in all aspects of Audio Description (AD) from the ground up.
“Access2Arts developed Australia’s first professional live audio description service and are the leading national provider of live professional audio description training.”
- ADLAB Pro Course Materials
We have developed a set of free open-access training materials for prospective audio describers.
Audio Description Guidelines
- Netflix Audio Description Style Guide
- The Audio Description Project - Guidelines for Audio Describers
- American Council of the Blind's Audio Description Project — Audio Description Guidelines and Best Practices (pdf file)
- ITC Guidance on Standards for Audio Description (pdf file, archive.org)
- EBU Handbook for High Quality Audio Description on Screen (Microsoft Word document).
- Ofcom’s Guidelines on the Provision of Television Access Services (pdf file)
- Describing Diversity — describing the personal characteristics of the diverse range of characters, in particular, the visible, physical markers of race, gender, impairment / disability, age and body shape.
- Pictures painted in Words - ADLAB Audio Description guidelines.
Books on Audio Description
- An Introduction to Audio Description - A practical Guide by Louise Fryer
- Audio Description New perspectives by Anna Maszerowska, Anna Matamala, Pilar Orero.
- The Visual Made Verbal Training Manual and Guide by Joel Snyder.
- Researching Audio Description — New Approaches by Anna Matamala, Pilar Orero.
- The Routledge Handbook of Audio Description Edited by Christopher Taylor and Elisa Perego.
- Audio Description for the Arts: A Linguistic Perspective by Elisa Perego.
- Exceptions to copyright (gov.uk)
Free and Open Source Software
CADET is free, downloadable caption-authoring software that enables anyone to produce high-quality caption files that are compatible with any media player that supports the display of captions. CADET can also be used to generate audio-description scripts.
- Describe Align
Combines videos with matching audio files (e.g. audio descriptions). Works by aligning parts of the audio file to matching parts of the video's sound.
A complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video.
Subtitling software can be used to write audio-description scripts. Subtitld has a waveform, and an organic and flexible way of sizing dialogue gaps. It works on Linux (and Microsoft Windows) and it's what I currently use.
Audio description for Youtube videos.
Closed Caption Creator
“The Audio Description Plugin for Closed Caption Creator allows users to create descriptive video using lifelike synthetic voices in over 25 different languages.”
Frazier is a timed text editor that lets you listen to your audio description right away.
“We offer the Advantage Audio Description product range that can provide an end-to-end AD system, starting with a single AD authoring workstation and expanding through to managed workflow systems for broadcasters implementing automated AD transmission.”
Language and Writing Tools
- Translate UK/US English
British vs American Words List
- British vs American Vocabulary
- Adjectives and Describing Words
- Describing Words
- Describing Diversity
Avoiding Racism for Writers—Coffee, Honey & Other Color Don’ts
- Skin Tone Descriptions for Writers
- Pronunciation Guide - Phonetic Respelling by Vocaleyes.
- The ADP Discussion List
- Facebook Audio Description Group
- LinkdIn Audio Description Group
- AD Forward on Mastodon
- Reddit Audio Description Discussion
- Twitter Audio Description Group
- Mac The Movie Guy
He just wants his blind community to know what has audio description, is it good, and should you watch it.
- Reid My Mind
Stories & profiles of compelling people impacted by all degrees of blindness and disability. Plus, Reid explores his own experiences in his unique way pairing his words with music and sound design.
- Access2Arts (Australia)
- Access Media (Australia)
- The Audio Description Project
- Audio Description Network Alliance
- The Substation (Australia)
- Vocal Eyes
- Audio Description in Art and Museums by Brett Coulstock.
- Audio Introductions for Film, Television, and Theatre by Brett Coulstock.