Archive for the ‘creative commons’ tag
The cover for the 19 Nocturne Boulevard episode An Hour To Kill. I’d developed a creepy looking creature for this episode on an alternate version of the cover, but it didn’t fit in the composition, and for all it looked cool, just teeth in the darkness was a far better visual to sell the story and imply, rather than spoil the idea up front.
The Fairy King is the first in a series of shorter works to fill in the time-slot in between Warp’d Space releases. We did a variation on the cover design to distinguish them from the mainstream releases, incorporating a more traditional leather bound book appearance and the subtitle “Short Sharp Shocks”. I was very fortunate to find a wonderful archive of vintage photographs collected as a set on Flickr, and I was very spoiled for choice. The wings are taken from insects with glitter and sparkles added.
A lovely cover — I feel — for a very creepy play.
Leaving Tasmania to return to Western Australia, and the inevitable Christmas chaos, I had limited time to do covers. Bride of the Minotaur was done without reading the script or listening to the production … Julie gave me some keywords and some things she’d like to see, and I assembled to order! I haven’t caught up with listening to it yet either!
Ben and Mia, young zombies in love, search for the perfect xmas present in a world of the walking dead.
The two zombies have swapped their hands with each other. Julie suggested the image of hand holding, and then I totally went to town on it, coming up with what I feel is one of my best — albiet Frankenstienien — covers.
The third Deadeye Kid cover. Having established the separate style for these stories, I promptly did a variation in the colour, opening the way for more variation in the future (although I expect most of them will be dusty orange/red).
The Big Dark is not due to be released for a while, but I thought I’d post the cover. Nothing exciting here really — just took a nice photograph from Flickr and extended the edges a bit, and adjusted the colours. The play is a police-procedural … in a world where everyone is a vampire, and everyone’s personal history records have been erased.
I actually supply one of the voices for the characters in this play
The cover for Episode 2 of Warp’d Space, showing “The Drake” in trouble in warp space.
Episode 2 of Warp’d Space is due to be released 1st December, 2009.
Licencing and Attribution
Tim might expect to see corpses, working graveyard in the morgue, but never expected one that can talk…
I have to say a big thank you to jim.rocco for relicencing his photograph of morgue drawers to allow me to freely use it for this composition.
Originally I was just going to add the number to the drawer, and light it in eldritch blue light, but then I got carried away and added light and smoke streaming out. I don’t know where the idea to put fridge-magnets on the drawer came from, but I suspect that I have a pretty black sense of humour sometimes. It just seemed appropriate to add a lighter note to the cover. I made my own pizza menu! Sue gave me the name of the restaurant: “The Nice Slice” (alas, it is obscured on the actual cover). It gives you an idea of some of the detail I put on these covers.
Interesting fact: the photograph of the drawers has names on — all Harry Potter characters. The drawer shown is Dumbledoor’s drawer
Julie suggested the fridge-magnet letters should say “Skidoo” after the phrase 23 Skidoo. The letters were “modelled” in the Blender 3D software package, something I’ve been getting a lot of practice in lately for another project.
Licencing and Attribution
This cover was amazing amounts of fun to do, and my favourite cover so far.
To make the background I cut out words and letters from the newspaper. It’s amazing what sentences you can create by rearranging words like: sinister, elvis, alien, voodoo, exorcism, videotape, angel, sex, ufo, drugs, plot, dinosaur, ex-wife, spy, fashion, ghost, bizarre, jesus, diet, probe … It’s pure poetry. Bizarre fridge-magnet dada-esque tabloid-journalism poetry!
The photograph of the kid was stock photography. Julie said it looked a little too much like a girl (the character in the play is a boy, but to be confusing he is actually played by a girl), and so I altered the face slightly, deleted some of the longer hair, and gave him racing car pyjamas with blue sleeves. Yay! No more gender ambiguity! The flames were also heavily distorted stock photography.